The Computer Security Incident Response Team (CSIRT) is aware of and currently investigating a new phishing attack doing the rounds on campus. There are variations of the email entitled Completed: Director/Faculty of: Invoice & Remittance August 2023.
Recipients are required to click the provided link to view a PDF file.
The UCT CSIRT is currently taking the required remedial steps.
- Keep track of the latest phishing attempts on campus via the UCT Phish Bowl.
- Don't ever reply to emails, messages, or calls that request personal information – especially usernames and passwords.
- NEVER share your password or PIN with anyone – not even an ICTS representative, or representatives of your bank, mobile network, or other service providers.
- Do not open attachments unless you can verify the sender and the nature of the attachment.
- Don't open emails of unknown origin.
- Don't click on links in emails if you cannot recognise where the link directs you.
- Please check the announcements on the ICTS and CSIRT websites for the latest alerts. If your suspicious email differs to the one in the announcement, please report it to the IT Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org. Learn more about how you can report information and cybersecurity-related issues to the UCT CSIRT.